The Tacoma Concert Band is a nationally acclaimed community symphonic band that is dedicated to providing its audiences with the highest quality classical and contemporary music. The Student Soloist Competition reflects our desire to recognize and encourage talented young musicians in the Puget Sound Area. We are inviting high school brass, woodwind and percussion students to audition and participate in the 30th annual Student Soloist Competition. Any Puget Sound area high school woodwind, brass,or percussion student who has received the recommendation of their high school band director are eligible, and home-schooled students are encouraged to participate.
Benefits of Participation
• Perform as a soloist with one of the most respected community concert bands in the nation
• Receive coaching in style, interpretation and stage presence from Gerard Morris, Professor of Music and Director of Bands at the University of Puget Sound
• Receive the Wayne Timmerman Prize of $1,500 or a runner-up prize of $500.
• Use this as an opportunity to gain experience to compete for region and state solo and ensemble festivals, as well as college admission and scholarship auditions
Requirements (Read Carefully!):
• The student must perform a live solo audition on Saturday, Dec 3, 2022, at the University of Puget Sound.
• The piece performed must be of high musical and technical substance and quality
• The soloist MUST be accompanied by piano at the audition. The soloist is responsible for acquiring their own piano accompanist.
• The piece must be approved in advance of the competition by the Tacoma Concert Band
• The piece or movement from a piece must be performed in its entirety; cuts will not be allowed.
• The piece may not exceed 12 minutes in length.
• The piece performed at the audition must be the one intended for the performance with the Tacoma Concert Band.
• The piece selected must have a band accompaniment easily and readily available to borrow or purchase. Music that is deemed as “rental only” will not be accepted.
• It is the responsibility of the soloist to research the availability of the band arrangement of the piece (whether by loan or purchase) and also know the purchase price. A good resource for this information is the music publisher of the piece.
• The student must be available for all of the following rehearsal dates:
March 8, 15, 22, 29, April 5, 12.
All rehearsals take place from 7:30-9:00 p.m. at the Pantages Theater in Studio 2.
The performance at the Pantages Theater in Tacoma on April 15, 2023
NOTE: ALL PAPERWORK FOR THE APPLICATION NEEDS TO BE SUBMITTED BY 11:59PM ON NOVEMBER 28TH, 2022
JUNE 18th, 2:00pm
WE'RE SETTING SAIL FOR OUR EUROPEAN TOUR WITH A BON VOYAGE CONCERT!
We're thrilled to announce our upcoming European tour, with performances scheduled across the UK and a final stop in Dublin, Ireland. But before we embark on this exciting journey, we're hosting a special BON VOYAGE concert at the University of Puget Sound's Schneebeck Concert Hall on Sunday afternoon, June 18th.
Under the careful baton of TCB's Conductor and Artistic Director, Maestro Gerard Morris, the program will feature a selection of pieces from our tour repertoire, giving our beloved community a sneak peek of the melodies that will soon be echoing in concert halls and castles across Europe.The Bon Voyage concert is a celebration of American music and our community, and we invite everyone to join us for this special event. The best part? ADMISSION IS FREE! This is our way of saying thank you for your unwavering support and sharing our excitement for the journey ahead.
WHO: The Tacoma Concert Band
WHAT: "BON VOYAGE CONCERT"
WHEN: Sunday afternoon, June 18th, 2:00 PM
WHERE: Schneebeck Concert Hall, University of Puget Sound
TICKETS: FREE ADMISSION!